Thursday, October 9, 2008

How could anyone give them away?

So I was asked this question recently by someone while out and would like to give my "scripted" answer. At the time I was taken back by this question and sometimes it is hard for me to think of an "appropriate" response. But later I think it through and know how to answer it if I ever get asked it again! Their birth mother's did not give them away. They placed them for adoption. I often correct people when they say this, because give them away implies a lack of love and lack of choice. My girls' birth mothers chose to place them for adoption because they were not in position to parent them and wanted them to have more opportunities in life than what they could give them. They loved them enough to hurt a great deal and go through hurt everyday because they miss them and aren't with them. And just because they are cute has nothing to do with that choice, as if them being cute makes it harder, no it's hard no matter what they look like. We are blessed beyond words and it is hard knowing that in order for us to be so happy, someone has to hurt so much, and sometimes more than just the birth mother is hurt, the whole birth family. We vow to never take our children for granted because we know what gifts we have been given. Even when they are both sick, and some days are harder than others- they are both AMAZING!

No comments: