Saturday, September 13, 2008

Adoptive Families

So I've said this before on here but we really do need adoptive families. The families we need are families open to African American children and open to open adoptions. Sometimes it amazes me how 1 in 30 families adopting domestically are open to a child of African American heritage. Most families are seeking a Caucasian baby or are even open to Caucasian, Hispanic, and Asian but not African American. I do not understand how families can single out certain races and then I feel like we are not letting God choose the right child for us. I know that every family is different and I hear many reasons why families are not open to these races. Such as, thier families would not accept a child of African American heritage, they do not live in a racial diverse area, or they want a child who looks like them. I know that adopting children of other races comes with certain extra things to deal with, we not only have to deal with the issues of being adopted but have to deal with teaching them about their race and how others respond to our children in a community that is not racial diverse. But, to me that reasons listed above are really excuses, that's not to say that if a family is not open to African American they should not adopt them. The desire is for these families to love their child unconditionally and respect thier culture and heritage and be proud of thier child regardless of skin color, so every family is different but I challenge adoptive families to really consider that adoption is giving up the idea of biological children and the idea of adopted children looking like them and trust God to work out the rest, such as family accepting the child, and dealing with race issues. I am proud of my children's heritage and race and hope that I can teach them to be strong black women, to feel apart of the black race and the caucasian race. (Side note- I read a book about calling black people black because they are not all African American, some are Haitian, Carribean, French, etc. so I use the word black to describe my children- which I feel is acceptable. :)) Every child is a gift from God no matter what color their skin, and look how amazingly beautiful my daughters are!!

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Yep, yep, and yep!

I had no idea the statistics were that bad. :(

dawn

Mom2Bs said...

Amen!
A true gift no matter where, or what their skin color is! Your daughters are more than beautiful, I think you could use the word gorgous or perfect!
Thanks for the blogging this!

Anonymous said...

It is so true every child is a gift from God no matter the race you said it so perfectly!!! It is so sad to me that the statistics are that bad for adopting African American children!

team gesink said...

Hmmm...good post. I think you told me you were writing this one! It makes me think not only do we have to open ourselves up to the color and race of a child that God wants for our family but also God's timing!! Heidi, can you believe I said that!! We went to the orientation today in Blue Earth and God hit us square in the head with that one!!

Heather said...

Hmmmm... I should NOT be reading stuff like this! :) We are still adjusting with the one who just came home last month! A girl can hope, though, right?

In God's time... :)