Monday, August 11, 2008

Good Adoption Books

I have been working on making a book list on good books about adoption, domestically, internationally, for kids, and for African American children. I am still working on reading good adoption books recommended by others but I thought I would share some of my favorites. If you have have any good adoption books, that you have read and like, send me a list and when I get the list done I will let you know and you can request one from me! E-mail me at ryandk@mtcnet.net. These are the ones I have read and liked.
General Adoption Books:

Raising Adopted Children by Lois Ruskai Melina
Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew by Sherrie Eldridge

Raising African American Children:
I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla by Marguerite A Wright (just finished this one, very good on understanding race issues and when children understand race issues and what to teach them about being black)

Kids Books:
The Perfect Present by Gayle Opp
A Mother for Choco by Keiko Kasza (Aniah's favorite!)
Adopted and Loved Forever by Annetta E. Dellinger
My Adopted Child, There's No One Like You by Kevin Leman II
We're Different, We're the Same by Bobbi Jane Kates (Sesame Street)
We Belong Together by Todd Parr
The Colors of Us by Karen Katz (Another one of Aniah's favorites)
Shades of Black by Sandra L Pinkney

I'm sure all could be found on-line. I found two of them at our local Christian book store. The Colors of Us and We're Different, We're the Same are good to teach children about all the beautiful races God made. Shades of Black is good to teach black children that they are all different shades but all black. My Adopted Child, There's No One Like You is one of my personal favorites.

So send me those great adoption books you have read and I will work on compling a fantastic resource list!!
Today Eden is three months old!! Time flies, she is getting so big and is smiling like crazy and starting to coo and talk to us loudly at times. She is a very good baby for me- not so much for anyone else but is doing great. We have pictures later today at Van Maanen's. Aniah is doing great and always on the move. We got her a lady bug dress up outfit that she is connected to and only takes off for short periods of time. We will post new pictures soon. Hope you are all doing well!

1 comment:

Mom2Bs said...

Thanks, good information!
Looks like I have some
good reading to do when school
starts!