Thursday, July 30, 2009

So Blessed

Today I was sitting folding the girls laundry and was struck with how much I/ we are blessed. The girls are an answer to many prayers and are truly the greatest gift in the world. When I think of this, I think how much I was given by the Lord. He has blessed my life so greatly. What more could I ask? When I think of this I also think of the girls birth mothers. Oh how much we love them for the gifts they have given me. I am now working with four birth mothers and am just reminded every time what Aniah and Eden's birth mom's went through and how selfless they were to go through so much pain to give their child more. How much love they had for them and how much they have given us. There are no words really for the gifts we have been given. Time and time again I see adoptive families who deny all the birth mother means. The whole plan is hinged on them and they are the one giving their child to an adoptive family. How could we not do anything and everything they ever ask or desire. I agree that there are times when it is uncomfortable to continue contact with birth families and times that adoptive families feel a sense of they are mine, not yours. But really an adopted child is part of both families. If they want some visits, or pictures and updates of the children, how could we see that as an inconvenience after what they have given us. As parents we always need to do what is best for our children and some research shows that open adoptions are better for adopted children, then how could we not do that. I respect whatever a birth mother decides and if she chooses a closed adoption because that is best for her, then she chooses that, if she chooses a semi-open adoption she chooses that, but I can see why a lot of mom's want an open adoption. Would you want to give your child to someone who won't even give you their last name? Would you want to give your child to a family that didn't respect you and your choice and see the importance of what you are doing? I think sometimes we fail to put ourselves in their shoes and try to even for a moment imagine what they are going through. As I have walked with journey with women, I have seen first hand what they go through and not a single person leaves the hospital without feeling their heart being ripped from them.

Again I am so blessed and only because of what the Lord has given me. Second I am blessed by the love of two birth mother's who gave us everything and got nothing. I hope they know how much we respect them and love them for what they have given us. Some days I think I do so little to show them that and tell them that. All I do is send pictures and updates, I could do so much more. Oh how I love my kids. They are more than one in a million. Every day I will thank the Lord for what I have been given and everyday I will remind myself to be thankful each day and never forget for a moment the sacrifice that was made to make me a mother.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Beautifully worded. :)

Tiffany said...

Thanks for such a sweet reminder!

Nikolyn said...

well said, Heidi. thanks for the new posts.