Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I found this poem on a fellow adoptive parent's blog www.urbanservant.blogspot.com and found it very touching. In working in adoption I see the pictures and hear the stories of the children that are "hard to place" and my heart aches for them. I pray for families to adopt these amazing and wonderful children and for the children who are yearning for a forever family.


"I understand that you couldn't make room -
that there wasn't a place,I was not of your womb.

That my age was all wrong, and my history belonged,
to a place and a people you know have all gone.

I see in your eyes that my life was a chore,
that my needs were too big, my emotions to raw.

That you were afraid I might never leave home,
or I might find anger and by failure be known.

That my heart was too broken
my mind was too slow,That the drugs in my system defined me,
you know.

And maybe, just maybe,I wouldn't love you -
for my mind was too battered too deep were the wounds.

But I wish you had tried,I wish you had found room,
For this one tiny boy who so achingly stood and looked
in the windows and watched as you prayed, and asked
the Lord Jesus to move you each day.

To bring out the family that He had prepared
but none came forward as I stood lonely there.

I understand - that man would say my childhood has slipped away.
I have a father, this is true, I know the same strong God as you.

But I wish that I had, had a mom -a brother, a sister, a dog, some lawn.
That you had tried to reach me there not left me to my own despair.

To people who were paid to feed, and paid to wash and paid to read.
To those who didn't stay too long and those who chose to teach me wrong.
I wish, that you had found a way to wedge me in and let me stay."


Here is my prayer
"Lord, please raise up Godly parents for the children that are "hard to place." So that they may thrive under the love of a family. Let us not define adopted children by thier stories or by the choices made by thier birth parents. May you touch the hearts of those Godly families to consider adding to thier family by the amazing gift of adoption."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that poem i agree it is very touching! Thanks for posting that!